I have to run a search all the way back to the beginning of my blog to make sure that I had not written on this topic before. It seems to come up fairly often as it did today on the Wisconsin State Bar 411 listserv. The question is: How do you properly change the name of a member of your staff in Time Matters? The issue, of course, is that changing the name within the Staff/Resource function does not change the Staff field on any records to which that staff member is assigned. This leaves you with calendar, notes, and other records that are, for lack of a better word “orphaned.” They don’t appear properly on the calendar or in standard Staff searches.
Here is the process that I use to accomplish this:
- Back up your Time Matters data.
- Note the staff member’s current name and initials just in case.
- Change the staff member’s name within the Staff/Resource function.
- Open the Event List.
- Select the pulldown arrow on the right edge of the binoculars icon.
- Choose Advanced Search. (You cannot use the standard Staff search for this because you have already changed the staff member’s initials)
- In the field box choose Staff.
- In the comparison box choose Has.
- In the compare it to box type the staff member’s previous initials.
- Click OK
This will produce a list of all Events containing the staff member’s previous initials. To change them, follow this process:
- Select the right edge of the Process Records icon (it looks like two pieces of paper with a check mark).
- Choose Change Records from the menu.
- When prompted, choose Create a New Template and Change the Contents of a Field.
- On the next screen, in the replace field box choose Staff.
- In the With Value box type the staff member’s new initials.
- Select the button in front of Replace This Text and type the staff member’s old initials in that box.
- On the next screen, just click Next to verify the changes you want to make.
- On the next screen, Time Matters will verify that you have the security rights to change the records.
- On the next screen, you will be prompted to back up as well as save the template for future use. If you want to do this, I recommend you name it something like “change staff initials.” Just keep in mind, that this template will only work For Events. You will need to create a similar template for other Time Matters records.
- Click Finish when ready and your changes will be made.
Repeat this process for all Time Matters records where the staff member’s initials appear in the Staff field.
I never said this was easy. If you have any questions about this process, I strongly recommend that you contact your Certified Independent Consultant (CIC) to assist you. This is the type of thing that could seriously mess up your Time Matters data if done incorrectly. However, most CIC’s have done this many times.Time Matters, Time Matters